Inclusion and Equality
At Shaftesbury Park Primary School we will continuously strive to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and dignity. Each person in our school will be given fair and equal opportunities to develop their full potential regardless of their gender, ethnicity, cultural and religious background, sexuality, disability or special educational needs and ability. We will work actively to promote equality and foster positive attitudes and commitment to an education for equality. We will do this by:
- Treating all those within the school community (e.g. pupils, staff, governors, parents and the community) as individuals with their own particular abilities, beliefs, challenges, attitudes, background and experience.
- Creating and maintaining a school ethos which promotes equality, develops understanding and challenges myths, stereotypes, misconceptions and prejudices.
- Encouraging everyone in our school community to gain a positive self-image and high self-esteem.
- Having high expectations of everyone involved with the whole school community.
- Promoting mutual respect and valuing each other’s similarities and differences and facing equality issues openly and honestly.
- Identifying, challenging and removing all practices, procedures and customs which are discriminatory and replacing them with practices that are fair to all.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reviewing all the above to secure continuous improvement in all that we do.
Progress towards meeting our Equality Targets will be reviewed at the end of the academic year and the results published. The schools will also publish significant information on pupils by protected characteristics annually.